I have two dogs, both are rescues from animal control. I love them to pieces.
What irritates the hell out of me are people who are such losers that the denigrate my dogs.
Every dog, whether rescued or purchased as a puppy, has a set of challenges. My challenges including fixing issues that some asshole created. Scout has "space issues" - she doesn't enjoy the company of 99% of other dogs, and will react to that 99% 100% of the time. I manage these issues, and most people do not realize that there is one.
At Good Dog Agility's trial this past weekend, they have a Parade of Veterans for dogs 8 years of age or older. At the end of the parade, an award is presented to a dog that:
- Contributes to the community
- and/or has overcome some issue
Scout won the award in 2009. It was especially sweet since she was tossed from the club. The 2010 winner was rescued as a puppy and performs community service by visiting nursing homes and hospitals.
There was one VERY sore loser. This loser has stated before, at USDAA trials, in front of others, that "all rescue dogs deserve to be euthanized" and that "all rescue dogs have issues." Loser here has two purebred, purchased-as-puppy dogs. Loser entered the older one in the contest. Loser was convinced that you HAD to have a rescue dog to win.
Not true. The 2008 winner was a purebred, purchased-as-a-puppy that went deaf.
Loser's older dog makes Scout look like a saint most of the time. Loser's dog has attacked and drawn blood on at least one other dog.
- I never had the opportunity to meet the parents and see their temperament
- I have never seen the pedigree
- I have no idea if the parents were healthy or have any known genetic defects for which there are tests
- I risked having to fix problems someone else created
- Loser was able to meet the parents and the breeder and preview temperament
- Loser can view the pedigree
- Loser has documentation as to potential genetic defects
- Loser had the opportunity to create the dog she wanted
I FIXED two dogs that someone like Loser ruined. I don't expect to be rewarded externally for it. My reward is the love I get from these two critters of mine.